One of our clients was running the “Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web
Application” service on all of their Application Servers. In order to gain
some more performance and memory, I recommended stopping this service on
all of the Application Servers. The issue was that Central Administration
is located on one of the Application Servers. When I tried to create a new
Web Application in Central Admin, it was no longer able to see all the
available Application Pools (As seen below).
We have two options here:
- Start the "Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application” service on
the Central Admin server
- Move Central Administration to one of the Web Front Ends
To move the Central Admin follow the steps below:
- Log on to the server where you want the new Central Admin to reside.
- Open the “SharePoint 2010 Management Shell” and run New-SPCentralAdministration
- This will provision Central Admin on the new server
- Once the previous step is completed, log on to the new Central Admin
- Go to System Settings, Manage Services on
- Select to the old Central Admin Server and Stop the “Central
If you have any questions please leave a comment.